Application & Fees
Dog adoption fees, which include core vaccinations, tests for Heartworm, Lyme Disease, Ehrlichiosis, and Anaplasmosis, and heartworm, treatment for internal parasites, flea treatment and prevention, spay/neuter surgery, and a rabies vaccination for dogs over 3 months old, are as follows:
Local Dog Adoption Fees
- Puppy (8 weeks up to 12 months): $425
- Young Adults (1 year up to 4 years): $375
- Adult (4 years up to 8 years): $325
- Elder (8 years plus): $175
* Unfortunately we are unable to offer any discounts on adoption fees for transport dogs under 4 years of age. Also, we can only apply one discount to any adoption special.
Please note that filling out an application for an animal does not guarantee your adoption. We match dogs with adopters on a first come, first considered basis. Unfortunately, we cannot hold dogs longer because they deserve every chance to be in a loving home as soon as possible. Once you have applied, we will consider your application, check references (if applicable), confirm housing and let you know if you have been accepted. You can either pay the adoption fee over the phone or come in the next day to pay and complete the adoption.
Cat adoption fees, which include initial kitten vaccines, tests for FIV and FeLV (for cats over 6 months), treatment for internal parasites, flea treatment, spay/neuter surgery, and a rabies vaccine for kittens over 3 months old, are as follows:
Cat Adoption Fees
- Kitten (8 weeks up to 12 months): $225 or adopt two for $350
- Adult (1 year – 8 years): $175 or adopt two for $275
- Senior Cat (8 Years+): $65 or adopt two for $110
We can only apply one discount to any adoption special. (ie, 2 kittens for $350 OR senior, veteran or first responder 25% discount)
Please note that filling out an application for an animal does not guarantee your adoption. We match cats with adopters on a first come, first considered basis and we only keep your application active for 24 hours after you have physically met the cat. Unfortunately, we cannot hold cats longer because they deserve every chance to be in a loving home as soon as possible. Once you have come to the shelter, we will consider your application, confirm housing and let you know if you have been accepted. Cat adoptions typically occur on the same day.
Small Animal Adoption Fees
- Rabbits $50
- Guinea Pigs $45
- Hamsters $40
- Chinchillas $85
- Rats $40
- Ferrets $85
- Mice $35 (as pets only)
- Birds $45
Also included in the adoption fee:
- Free health exam within 10 days of adoption at participating area veterinarians
- One month of free health insurance
- We now require valid photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, passport, etc.) for all adoptions. If you rent your home, we also require consent from your landlord to have an animal. Please provide a letter or contact name and number so we can confirm the information.
- HSWA offers a 25% discount for senior citizens (65+), first responders, veterans and long term foster volunteers**. We simply ask for ID verification.
- Cardboard cat carriers are available for a fee of $5 plus tax.
- Collars and leashes may be purchased in our lobby.
Special discounts are available on some of our special needs pets. Please ask us for more information.
*Note: prices are subject to change without notice.
Consistent with humane philosophy, and Maine law, all dogs and cats must be spayed/neutered prior to adoption, or arrangements made for future spay/neuter made at the time of adoption and completed before the adoption contract becomes valid. If the spay/neuter is not completed as arranged the adoption contract becomes invalid and the pet reverts to the ownership of the Humane Society Waterville Area.
**The foster discount only applies to volunteers who have provided long term or staff requested fostering (ie, raising kittens from birth, socializing kittens, caring for a dog while waiting for a spay/neuter surgery date, etc.). It does not apply to someone who is fostering an animal to see if the pet will fit in at their home. Please speak to our Animal Care Manager for clarification.